Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Eeeew. Gross. Yuck. Click!

Just another typical afternoon at our home...the girls and their friend Ryan were playing outside after school. One of their latest pasttimes has been to carry all the empty jars we have outside and collect bugs.
Eeeew. Gross. Yuck. Why?
Today it got a little more heart-palpitating than normal for me. Lindsay came inside with nothing other than a large praying mantis. Very large. In a shorter jar. Without a lid on the jar.



I should get some serious "Good Momma" credit here. I did not run screaming from the room. I did, however, grab a baggie and cover the jar as quickly as possible. All the while pretending complete interest in what she had found. And edging her ever closer to the back door without being obvious. This is what I was taught to do in Good Momma school.

In my heart, I believe praying mantises are e-vil. Scary. And not part of my home decor theme.

And then I made her take it outside. Good girl that she is, she obliged. And then good scrapbooker that I am, I took pictures of it.


You can't see the creature very well in this picture. But it's there. Inches from her mouth. And she's taken the baggie off the top of the jar.

She did not get this hobby from me. Trust me.
This is SO not genetic!

The praying mantis was liberated in a safe location, free to pursue and devour another mate.


And then five minutes later, Rebekah came in holding yet another jar, wanting to show off her new pet katydid. Thank goodness she had a lid. That bug was even more mobile.

Where, in their genetic history, did they get this insane hobby? David's not such a bug guy, though he has rescued me from many a terrorizing moth.

But I won't squash their fun. Maybe their bugs, but not their desire to be scientists (as they call themselves) and learn about nature.
However, remember that katydid? He's still sitting in a jar on a table in my entryway. Let's hope she forgets about him before she wakes up. I'm releasing him into the wild under cover of night. Maybe if I spin the jar around really fast three times he'll get dizzy and forget his way back home. I can only hope.

2 comments:

banananutmeg said...

AWESOME! My kids are terrified of everything. I don't blame them...the bugs here COULD eat small children. I love that kids actually CAN find cool bugs here. I never found anything cooler than a snail on the sidewalk or a rolie-polie as a kid where I grew up.

Betsy in ar said...

Kristen, haven't you heard about the bug fairy? It's the cousin to the tooth fairy. It comes in during the night and rescues the bugs that have been help captive! Now why the bug fairy doesn't take the bugs that every once in awhile come into the house, I don't know.
How cool is that that the kids are totally cool with picking up bugs. When I was growing up, I took the lightning bugs and pulled the tails off (didn't everyone?). Now I can't imagine doing that. Or catching crawdads at the creek (I was good at it as a kid, now I can't even get close to them, maybe it's my eyesight!)
I can see your page about it now. What's bugging me

HAHA!
Betsy