Monday, March 2, 2009

Sweet Sixteen

Happy Birthday, Colin!


It sounds so cliche, but it fits so perfectly...

Where has the time gone? When did my 7 pound 6 ounce boy become a 6'1" man?

This is the "legal" birthday he's waited for for so long...time to drive on his own...time to date...

Wait! Did I just say that? He's not that old! (Rather, I'm not that old, am I?)

He wants to wait to get his driver's license for 15 more days...the braces come off on March 17 and there's no way he's taking that famous photo with them on. Somehow I thought he'd be more anxious for it, but who can blame him? Plus, that permit he's been carrying gives him access to a car anyway...as long as we're with him.

And the dating? I'm so not pushing that one, but he's definitely a ladies' man so I don't think it will be too long. I asked him after school if he had a date yet. His answer? "Not yet. I'm working on it!" I think it's going to be a best friend he's had for years who's moving soon. Safe and simple.

(But still, keep working on it, buddy. We can soooo wait for that day!)

The birthday was rather quiet and unassuming for such a milestone... early morning Seminary, then school and basketball practice as usual. Then it was off to dinner with family, including grandparents, aunt, and cousin, at Olive Garden, his choice. We'll have a bigger party later, but for now we simply celebrated this rite of passage.

I have to share the sweet but silly photos of him and his cousin Catherine that I took at dinner. They're more like brother and sister. Six weeks apart in age, same grade at the same school for years...I've loved watching this relationship grow with them. But trying to get them to pose for a serious shot? No way.

This is what I got when I said "Put your heads together."



This is what I got when I then said "Really, guys."

center

And so I never got that perfect shot. But this one will do!



Once again, happy birthday, Colin!
We love you!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Could this really be the same "kid" that I used to make clean his bedroom? Ugh, I feel so old. Wish him a happy belated b-day for me, please.